The hours are ticking down to a new year and a new decade! Whether 2019 was a good year or bad year, let it go. Mourn or celebrate then bid 2019 adieu. A new year and decade are before you. Here are a few thoughts to launch strong into 2020 and beyond.
* Be Creative. Choose a hobby and give it about 30 mins to an hour a day. Instead of surfing social media, take the time to learn the guitar or a language. Try drawing, photography, painting, cooking, woodworking, or writing. A few years ago I did a pottery-making class. I recommend it.
* Be Connected. Set weekly/monthly coffee times with friends. Be a mentor or ask to be mentored. Commit to 20-minute “porch times” each night with your spouse. Land a date night. Eat breakfast or dinner at the table as a family at least 3 – 4 times a week. Spend quality time with your kids through play or over pancakes. Get a prayer partner. Serve on a church ministry team. Join or host a small group Bible study.
* Be a Servant. Discover the God-given spiritual gift God gave you. Use that gift to serve at your local church. Serve your neighbor and community in anonymous ways. Pick up the tab for someone every now and then at a restaurant.
* Be Present. Don’t mourn the past. Don’t fear the future. Live in the moment. I once heard that right now is the greatest gift, and that’s why it’s called the “present.” God always lives in the (eternal) present. Abide with Him there. As you abide in the present, put the phone aside and be present with others.
* Be Grateful. Be content with what you have and not distracted by what you don’t have. Notice the little things you take for granted that should warrant your gratitude (health, laughter, Netflix, bacon). Begin every day with three things you are thankful to God for. Offer your troubles to God as worship, grateful that He wastes nothing in your life.
* Be His. Meditate on Scripture. Pray. Repent of sin. Obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Tithe. Let go of grudges. Reconcile with others. Attend your church every weekend. Lift your hands in worship. Live with an eternal perspective. Bow the knee at your bed every morning, and declare: “My God, You loved me first! I am Yours. Command me.”
Happy New Year!