Are you stressed? Drained? Depressed? Exhausted? I’ve found myself in these flames too many times.
You may or may not be a fan of the Bible, but I want to take us there to meet a prophet named Elijah. Elijah experienced a debilitating episode of burn-out. Much to learn from him. I often turn to Elijah when I feel the burn coming on. You can read Elijah’s story HERE.
Following are 15 signs from the life of Elijah that you are on the verge of burnout:
1. You’re constantly on the go with no break in sight.
2. You’re missing meals, and dehydrated.
3. You’re up early, but not getting enough sleep.
4. You’re in a season of being painfully criticized, blamed, accused, and questioned.
5. You feel abandoned.
6. You’re exhausted from serving, caring, and giving to others, while neglecting yourself.
7. You feel you’re having to prove yourself again and again.
8. You feel stuck and without direction .
8. You’re facing very difficult decisions and conversations .
9. You feel unsupported, perhaps even betrayed, by someone(s) close to you.
10. You feel misunderstood and blamed for someone else’s problems.
11. You’re in conflict with a significant other with no reconciliation in sight.
12. You feel utterly alone.
13. You’re isolating yourself and running from your problems.
14. You’re overwhelmed, tired, and thinking and behaving irrationally.
15. You feel you cannot go on another day.
Any of this hitting home?
What’s the prescription?
• Get Counseling (For christians, perhaps start with reading the Psalms, or reflecting on Elijah’s life).
• Take some time off.
• Go sit under a tree for a while and get some fresh air.
• Take a long nap… or two.
• Eat a big meal… or two!
If you can make at least a few of those happen, you’ll be better able to handle what’s before you or thrown at you.
Then back to work!
Do you toe the line with burnout? Ever experienced it? What would you add to prevent burnout or recover from it?
If you liked this post, you also might like “5 Ways You’re Most Tempted To Ruin Your Life.”